Wednesday 26 January 2011

Speech by Peter Monk, President of Barrick Gold

For several years now I have been following the growing movement against the activity of Canadian mining companies. Mostly I have focused on their presence in Latin America, but not exclusively.  I invite you to listen to a speech given by Peter Monk, founder of Barrick Gold at the last stockholders meeting. The speech is accompanied by photos that illustrate another side of his statements -- in this sense it is not neutral. It will be for you to decide.

However, I can also say that I have visited mines in several areas, especially of Latin America, and read a lot of documentation as well as listening to representatives of local communities in a wide range of areas. What the pictures show, as far as I can tell, is authentic.

(I should add that Barrick Gold is suing the authors and the publishing house of Noir Canada, a study of the operation of Canadian mining particularly in Africa. They want 5 million dollars in damages. The case will go before the Supreme Court of Canada, with the authors arguing that this is a case of an unjustified attempt to muzzle opposition, a case of a SLAPP suite designed only to intimidate people from speaking out.)

Here is the reference for the VIDEO: PETER MONK

No comments:

Post a Comment